As many of us know, poor quality rest can significantly impact our health and well-being, so establishing a good bedtime routine is something I always recommend to my clients.
Here are my top tips to get a good night’s rest:
- Establish a bedtime routine which has a similar bedtime and waking hour;
- Avoid caffeine around six hours before bedtime, this includes chocolate, coffee, tea and many fizzy drinks;
- Find a comfortable sleep temperature for your bedroom; if the room is too hot or cold, you simply won’t sleep well.
- Remove technology from your bedroom. Your bedroom should be a relaxed space, so stimulating technology such as laptops, TVs, tablets and smartphones are a big no-no. Apply these rules to your children’s bedrooms too, and create a calm space for them to relax;
- Switch off from tech! Always turn off technology at least two hours before bedtime. The blue light from our smartphones and tablets suppresses the production of melatonin (the chemical which induces sleep) and makes it harder for us to rest;
- Lavender oil. Try using lavender oil in the evening to help calm the body and mind, preparing it for rest. Lavender is historically renowned for its restful qualities;
- Remove clutter. Turn your bedroom into a restful sanctuary – remove all clutter to create a calm space. Staring at a pile of washing, paper work or mess is not the ideal view when trying to rest;
- Write down worries. A number of my clients report they often wake in the night with worries or thinking about things they need to remember for the next day. I always recommend they put a notebook and pencil by the bed each night. (Don’t be tempted to use your ‘phone, remember the no-tech rule). If you wake in the night, you can jot down any worries or action points. This way you are taking them from your mind and giving yourself permission to relax again. Remember once it’s on the notebook you can begin to relax again.
- Try reflexology. If you are currently experiencing high stress levels which are making it difficult for you to rest at night, you may find a reflexology treatment supportive. You can read how reflexology supported my sleep issues following a bereavement.
It may take a few days to establish a good sleeping pattern, so during this time be kind to yourself, relax and good quality rest should come.
If you are concerned about any aspect of your health, including difficulty sleeping, you should always seek a professional medical opinion in the first instance.
Products to Support Sleep
This product is my client’s favourite and has also supported me a great deal. You can read about my own experience of using it here.
You can read product reviews on the button below.
As a gift from me to you, use code KELLYHAINSWORTH to receive a 15% saving on your shopping.
This pulse point roll on aromatherapy blend is the ideal way to help prepare your body and mind for a restful night. The soothing aromas of neroli, rose and Roman chamomile work together to promote a sense of calm and relaxation when it’s time for bed. Keep on your bedside table and use as part of an evening ritual to help you unwind.
- Expertly blended, soothing fragrance
- Perfect bedtime blend
- Handy size for nights away
The Drops of Slumber+ may help to ease your mind for a restful night leaving you refreshed and revitalised the next morning.
This natural multi award winning sleep saviour is non-habit forming and leaves no lingering drowsiness.
The delicious tasting liquid supplements are readily absorbed by the body getting to work fast
Containing a blend of natural and vegan friendly ingredients.
If you click on the above links for Harrogate Organics and Life Armour and buy products as a result, I will be rewarded with a small commission of the sale. Please note, no extra costs would be added to the products for this to happen.
I only display affiliate links for companies that I personally trust and believe my clients and followers will love.
Neal’s Yard Remedies Consultant
As a consultant for Neal’s Yard Remedies, if you click on the link (shown above) and purchase a product as a result, I will be rewarded with a small commission of the sale. Please note, no extra costs would be added to the products for this to happen.
I am a Neal’s Yard Remedies Consultant as their ethics and values, match that of my clients and I truly love their products.